COGENT Coconut news and events
17th COGENT Steering Committee meeting was held at the Coconut Research Institute - CRI, Sri Lanka, 13th - 16th July 2014
- Category: News
- Created: 07 May 2014
The COGENT Secretariat organized the 17th COGENT Steering Committee meeting in Sri Lanka from the 13th to 16th July 2014.
The Sri Lankan Minister for Coconut Development, the honourable Mr Jagath Pushpakumara inaugurated the meeting. The Sri Lankan Coconut Research Institute (CRI) kindly co-hosted the meeting, directly after the APCC COCOTECH meeting in Colombo, for which we are extremely grateful.
For the meeting programme click here.
Some of the key tasks to be addressed were:
- To elect the new COGENT Chair, Vice-Chair and SC members in placeTo launch the International Thematic Action Groups (ITAGs)
- To endorse the process for the finalization of the Strategy, and share the newly published Strategy brochure
- Within the CGIAR global research programme (CRP) contexts of Forests Trees and Agroforests (FTA) and Genebanks, to develop a methodology to obtain a roadmap for the implementation of the Strategy for the next decade
- To galvanize COGENT and secure active engagement of its members in implementing the Strategy and agreed research agenda
- To organize a fund-raising task force, a key aspect for the future of Coconut Genetic Resources
- To inform on the policy and the methodology of new centralized information sharing networks.