COGENT International Thematic Action Group on Ethnobiology and socioeconomy
The main objectives of this ITAG for the next 2 years are:
- To help and support local stakeholders (men and women farmers, private enterprise, NGOs and CBOs) to become more involved in supplying quality germplasm.
- To develop an International project as suggested in recommendation 3 of the Steering Committee, and including the following actions:
- Assessing farmers’ traditional and botanical knowledge regarding the reproductive biology of the coconut palm and breeding purposes;
- Developing a communication strategy to strengthen farmers’ knowledge regarding coconut reproductive biology and breeding methods, including training tools, video guidelines and media communication;
- Conducting a similar survey five years after launching this process, in order to assess the efficiency of the actions undertaken.
Leaders were not identified for the ITAG Communication and the ITAG ethnology and Socioeconomics.
The COGENT secretariat is presently assuming the leadership of the ITAG ethnology and Socio-economics. When an appropriate international team will be constituted, ITAG members will have to designate their leader by consensus or voting process.
List of members
Mohammed Ataur Rahman
Director Center for global environment culture (CGEC) and Program on Education for Sustainability
Coordinator, WWOOF Bangladesh
International University of Business Agriculture and Technology
Sergio Gongora Gonzalez
Investigador del Programa de Socioeconomía
Instituto Nacional de Investigaciones Forestales, Agrícolas y Pecuarias (INIFAP)
Centre for Agriculture and Biosciences International (CABI)